Just because you are on vacation away from home, that doesn’t mean that you should let your diet and physical activity
go to shit suffer. I am all for drinks and treats, after all it is your time off to enjoy, but even 30 minutes a day will give you more energy, make you feel good and make you feel better about indulging a little.
My family is now made up of four humans that need attention. All. The. Time. So that makes for some creative ways of keeping everyone happy all at the same time while getting a sweaty workout in. Even if you don’t have others to worry about, sometimes you have to be creative in how to get the most out of the time you are willing to dedicate to your workout time. I mean, at the end of the day, it’s still vacation and you want to enjoy it and get the quality relaxation time in that you work so hard for during the year.
Ideas for vacation exercises:
- Tabata – quick, high energy, will leave you a sweaty mess in no time
- Body weight exercises using hotel furniture and the floor – there are lots of exercises you can find that you can use a chair or the floor that will help you get in a quick workout with limited space
- A park close by with benches, monkey bars, or the grass – be outside enjoying the weather while getting in a great workout and a tan (push ups, pull ups, dips, sprints)
- A good old fashioned run/jog/walk – even better if there are hills or trails around. Make it more challenging- add some intervals (2 minutes jogging, 1 minute running, repeat)
- Find a local gym/fitness class like Crossfit/Yoga/Spin and drop in – most classes accept drop ins for $10-$15
- TRX – a compact workout system that fits easily in your luggage and can be suspended nearly anywhere to give you a super hard workout
- DVDs – P90X, Insanity, T25, Yoga… the list goes on of video workouts that provide some variety to your normal workout
- Online – the Internet is a great tool with countless FREE workouts that you can pull up on your laptop, phone, tablet
CLICK ON OUR PHOTOS TO SEE US DOING SOME VACATION WORKOUTS!
[photo_grid photos=”1609,1612,1613,1614″ layout=”13″ spacing=”5″ fancybox=”true”]
Make your workout happen and you will have the rest of the day to enjoy and not get off track. There’s nothing worse than getting home with extra pounds… on your body, not in your luggage. Ask me to set you up a workout that you can easily do while travelling!
HERE ARE SOME WORKOUTS FOR YOU TO USE THE NEXT TIME YOU GO AWAY:
Remember always warm up and cool down – these are just the nuts and bolts – all take less than 30min
Using a Tabata Timer (20sec work/10sec) ….We like the Fit Radio App (it has a timer built into music)
Complete 1 Round of 8 sets of the following, rest 1 min before switching exercises. Tony uses our eldest son for added weight, he loves it!! You can use anything you want, Dani likes to use 1 Gallon water jugs (they are only $0.79)
Pushups, KB Swings, Front Squat Push Press, Oblique Swings and Squats (of course holding in parallel during the “rest”
Workout 2: (this one is made for Tony – scale the exercises to suit your own abilities – Dani cut the reps in half and jumped into her pull up then focused on resisting the negative)
RUN 1km like someone is chasing you!!
Then: – Rest 25mins BUT during that rest complete you must complete break up the reps however you want – 50 L Pull ups (find some monkey bars etc) – 50 Dips (use a bike rack, park bench, etc) – 50 Box Jumps (park bench or any other suitable platform)
Run 1km like someone is chasing you!!
This one is simple, just pick something as a trigger and every time it happens do 10 perfect pushups aiming for 100 total for the day
The trigger can be anything i.e. every time you crack a beer, every time you check you phone for messages, or Dani’s favourite – every time you change a diaper (Tony wouldn’t do many push ups if he used this one)
You can do this with any exercise over the course of a week!